Sunday, November 04, 2007

Idiot-proof chocolate brioche pudding

This is my dessert for Book Circle & Pudding Club on Wednesday night. It's so easy it's unbelieveable.

You need 1 small brioche loaf, 3oz melted butter, half a jar of apricot jam, 3 eggs, 1tsp vanilla extract, 300ml milk, 300ml double cream, 3oz caster suger, 4oz chocolate chunks and 2 oz flaked almonds. (Note the not-so-subtle blend of metric and imperial measures)

Set oven to 150 oC. Cube the brioche and layer half on the bottom of an oven proof dish. Drizzle (I love that word) over half the melted butter. Spread with apricot jam and layer remaining brioche on top. Drizzle (!) with remaining butter.

Mix eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and sugar together and pour over brioche. Leave to soak in for 30 mins. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and almonds and bake until golden and risen.

Last time I made a dessert for Book Circle, this happened. This recipe, as I said, was so easy it was unbelieveable. Unbelieveable, that is, that I should make it successfully through all the stages above, just to forget it was in the oven until my children were choking on thick, black smoke from burning chocolate chunks and over toasted almonds.

Let this be a warning to you: be careful when using words like 'idiot' and 'proof' in the same sentence. Always make sure you test it out on a real idiot first.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Sounds delicious. I will have to get out the metric converter cheat sheet!

And, can you tell me what is caster suger?