Sunday, November 04, 2007

Do you believe in pyschosomatic itching?

I'm sure some of you are scratching already!

Everyone is back to school tomorrow after a week off for half term break. One of the jobs that has to be done in preparation for return to school is the 'head check'. Always best to start off with a clean sheet, so to speak. Especially as, on the last day of term, one of them came home with 'the note' ... the note that comes home via one or the other every fortnight or so ... the 'a pupil in your child's year has headlice ' note.

Are you itching yet??

I checked when the note came in of course, but sometimes it takes the wee buggers a week or so to appear. It's a hateful job - they hate having their heads checked and I hate checking. But we have an idiot proof (ah ha! But this really is idiot proof as proved by this idiot) way of checking that uses inordinate amounts of conditioner and a fine comb.

Anyway, we have been extremely fortunate so far and had 'all clear' every time, but realistically it's only a matter of time before someone gets the 'unclean' verdict.

Squirming around in your seat now??

And, when I say everyone back to school tomorrow, I include myself in that. I'm taking up my first work since surgery during the summer and covering a job in one of my Special schools four days a week until they make a permanent appointment to the post. So I'm off for an early night, safe in the knowledge that the itching on my head is purely psychosomatic :-)

8 comments:

Dana said...

Yes I am itching!

So, tons of conditioner and fine combs do what? Find if there are or are not?

We get those notes as well...and boys are easy to check because their hair is short and you can just get the hair cut if it's not. Girls are not so easy...my daughter has so much hair and we have to look and look and look.

So far so good. Can always use good tips though!

Ali said...

Top tip for catching nits:

wash hair as normal, no conditioner yet. Towel dry, but not completely dry.

Slap on a good amount of conditioner to cover all the hair with quite a thick layer. Nits will just run away if you look for them in dry or even wet hair, conditioner acts as an immobiliser!

Place a plastic bag round the shoulders of the person who's having their head checked. Use the fine 'nit' comb to comb out the conditioner. If there are any nits, they will be stuck in the conditioner and will be removed with it.

Wipe the excess conditioner gathered on the comb onto a piece of absorbant kitchen paper. You'll see any lice immediately.

Have major hysterics and run around the house screaming.

Pluto said...

I fully welcome all the Child Protection regulations - they now give me a reason for not getting too close to the pupils!

Dana said...

Thanks! I will remember the part about "Have major hysterics and run around the house screaming." However, I'm sure that comes quite naturally.

When they were in daycare we had this problem. The bugs were immune to everything we tried. It took a long, long time to finally get rid of them. So, I would run around in hysterics if they came back.

Ah, the blessings of little ones!!!


Pluto, what grade do you teach?

Pluto said...

Dana, I teach (and I'm sure Ali would say that I use the word "teach" very loosely) secondary school kids aged 11 to 16.

Ali said...

I wouldn't put you down like that Pluto! In fact, I'd go as far as to say you were a pioneer in the field of education.

If I remember correctly, you were doing 'distance learning' before they had even invented the internet

Pluto said...

They didn't call me The King of The Courses for nothing! You're jealous because I managed to convince the senior management team that every course that came along would be good for my personal development and, therefore, the school. I am trying to convince my current SMT that I could teach from home using video conferencing!

Ali said...

Unfortunately, I had to do that when I was on my last maternity leave