Wednesday, October 31, 2007

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

This programme has a lot to answer for.

I took the kids into town on the bus this morning to see Ratatouille as their Halloween trip. Some years we go to Gloucester or Edinburgh or Dublin, this year we go 6 miles down the road. On a public service bus.

Anyway, we are sitting on a pretty crowded public bus travelling into the centre of Belfast for this big treat when a nun gets on at one of the stops. (It may or may not surprise you to know that actually seeing a nun out and about in Belfast is a pretty rare experience). Of course, I'm sitting with my back to the front of the bus, but as I watch the kids' eyes grow ginormous and their mouths drop open, I know something spectacular has happened at the front of the bus.

The little one points behind me and says 'look mum, it's a sister!', to which her brother chips in 'she means the nun.' By now, the rest of the passengers are playing a particularly easy round of 'spot the protestant'.

After a couple of minutes silence, the little one looks up again and says in her best (which isn't good) stage whisper 'I wonder is she going to start singing?'

Thankyou, Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber

2 comments:

Cosmo said...

Not only is it a rare thing to see a nun in Belfast, I'd say it's rare to see one at this time of year. Certainly in Dublin they only seem to come out during the summer!

Dana said...

Did she have curlers in her hair underneath her wimple? And did her dress have a tear?

Spot the Protestant...that's funny.

I never see them in Houston. Okay, maybe in a blue moon at the Target, but never, never at the Wal-Mart.

:)