Sunday, February 01, 2009

Fun Monday

AOJ at The Lurchers set the task of telling about the book you are reading.

I am just finishing off our current Book Circle read, the Chiamanda Ngozi Adichie novel which won the Orange Broadband prize for fiction in 2007, 'Half of a Yellow Sun' The novel is based on the Nigeria-Biafra War which happened in Nigeria from 1967-70. In fact, the title is taken from the emblem of the breakaway state in eastern Nigeria that survived for only three years, and whose name became a global byword for war by starvation.

It follows the lives of five very different characters in the years leading up to the war and during the violent political turmoil itself. Ugwu is a poor villager‚ employed as a houseboy for the university lecturer and revolutionary freedom fighter, Odenigbo. Olanna, the London-educated daughter of a "nouveau riche" businessman and Odenigbo's partner, is a young beautiful middle−class woman. Richard is an English writer who, having been in Nigeria at the start of the conflict, considers himself Biafran and who falls in love with Olanna's remote and enigmatic twin, Kainene.

Aspects are quite gritty and brutal and some might find it difficult to read, but it explores a range of issues including culture, fear, conflict and moral responsibility. I recommend it.

And part two of the task; if I were stranded on a desert island, which book would I take? Crumbs, I imagine it would have to be Ray Mears book 'Outdoor Survival Handbook: A Guide To The Resources And Materials Available In The Wild And How To Use Them For Food, Shelter,Warmth And Navigation'

:-)

15 comments:

Judith said...

That sounds an interesting read! its good to feel uncomfortable and to be aware that we are out of comfort zone when reading the about the lives of others.

Etta said...

So... I won't have to come to bookclub then on Weds....?! There's an interesting concept - a bloggers bookclub! (You've already introduced the phone-in bookclub contribution and it worked very well!)

(For Judith - Ali couldn't make it to last month, but she gave us a ring with her comments! Resourceful as always.)

Sayre said...

Hahaha - love your pick for the deserted island. Very practical!

Sarah said...

Fantastic read :) Also, I'm impressed how many FM participants are planning to make shelters and find food on this island. I think I've assumed that I will sunbathe, read my book and wait to be rescued!

~moe~ said...

A survival guide! Excellent choice! I'm wishing I would have thought of that. :)

Anonymous said...

The book your reading sounds like it is very interesting. It's good to know what is going on in different countries. Good pick for the desert Island, makes sense to me. Love your Paul Simon, under african skies, I listen to his Graceland CD quite a bit.

Pamela said...

The only thing more disturbing then reading a book about man made human misery ... is to know that it happened (and remember it as well)

It is difficult to read about things that jar our memories.


I agree on your book choice for the deserted island. Not sure it would help me, I'm such a wuss.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

The book you are reading sounds very interesting. For the deserted island I am bringing a survival guide, too!

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Ray Mears! An excellent choice!

Hootin Anni said...

That book sounds fabulous. And I love the title...and it's meaning.

Thanks for stopping by to visit today.

Sandy said...

What a terrific post!

Thanks.

Gattina said...

I don't like anymore to read books which could upset me or make me sad. Now I like to read funny books or crime stories.
Don't forget to buy a waterproofed bag for your survival book when you go on a ship !

Pluto said...

Ali, I hadn't heard of Half of a Yellow Sun but I must read it. I lived in what used to be Biafra in the early eighties and the war was still a difficult memory for many people.

Molly said...

Oh no, now I have another book to add to my books-to-read list. Thanks for the recommenadtion.

ChrisB said...

I think that sounds an interesting novel and you are being very practical(and sensible) for the desert island-not a bit like me LOL.