Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Dirty Laundry

As already documented, after much deliberation (over which teddy to take with him) Mini-me decided to go away for the weekend last weekend.

I like to be organised, and as this was a momentous occasion, I decided to leave nothing to chance. I organised his clothes into sets, a complete new set for each day (Saturday and Sunday) plus a complete spare set, right down to pants and socks. Then I put each complete set of clothes into individual plastic bags and explained to him that each day all he had to do was to to put on all the clothes in the one plastic bag.

Easy; well, not exactly rocket science! (though, as an aside, I have to say that rocket science has gone way down in my estimations: for details see un-named ex-colleagues blog)


In the absence of a 'male' looking washbag, I went to the local supermarket and bought him a small washbag and a new toothbrush, toothpaste, small liquid soap and rugby facecloth.

So off he set, and the rest is as documented on this blog.

When we picked him up on his return on Sunday, I was a little dismayed (to say the least!) that he climbed off the bus wearing the exact same clothes he had worn two days previously when he had climbed onto it. Never worry, I thought, it was a very wet weekend and he must have gone through all the clothes in each of the plastic bags and back to his first set of clothes. We said our goodbyes and our thankyous and headed home, amongst other things, to do the washing.

I opened his case with a feeling of some anticipation, to discover all his clothes neatly folded and packed into ... individual plastic bags. Either the leaders had very kindly done the laundry, or ...

I didn't really want to do it, but on opening his washbag, I confirmed that everything was just as I'd left it - dry as a bone and obviously unused.

I did have a faint flicker of hope when I found some loose clothing in the bottom of the case, but it quickly dispelled when I discovered that, in his generosity, he had brought home somebody elses dirty laundry.

1 comment:

Pluto said...

I think you are missing the point of the laundry thing. Look at it from a male point of view! Your son is thinking very logically. You have only one set of clothes to wash and one grubby child - and you're complaining!!

As for rocket science - it's very useful to know when you teach spacers!