Saturday, November 24, 2007

Did you hear the one about the Irishman?

We had a friend from church come for dinner this week. My eldest (8) decided, half way through dessert, to tell us all a joke.

(As an aside, I can tell you he's eight because since the Government lost all our personal details there is now no longer the need to be discreet about such facts as his name, his date of birth, his address, my national insurance number and my bank account number. You can probably buy them on EBay for a tenner)

Anyway, always one to impress a guest, he starts into his joke:

Paddy Irishman, Paddy Englishman and Paddy Scotsman are all on a plane that is going to crash. The pilot tells them all they will have to jump out, but that whatever they shout out as they jump through the hatch, they will land in.

Paddy Englishman goes first, and as he jumps out of the plane he shouts 'gold'! Paddy Scots man goes next, and as he jumps out of the plane he shouts 'silver'!

At this point I glance up and meet (and match) my hubby's shocked look as we both share the exact same thought at the exact same moment.

Then its Paddy Irishmans turn

At this point , showing true parental responsibility, the pair of us simultaneoulsy burst into uncontrollable giggles. My son hesitates, completely ignores 'the look' I attempt to give him and gives us a funny look that says, 'why are you pair of doughballs laughing, I've not got to the funny bit yet'. Undeterred, if not a little confused, he takes a deep breath and continues:

So he jumps out and shouts ...

In between uncontrollable giggles, silent prayers are being offered 'please don't let him say it, please don't let him say it!'

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

3 comments:

Cosmo said...

Fairplay to Paddy Irishman. If you jump from several thousand feet and land on gold or silver your done for - albeit in a classy sort of way. If you land in a sea of urine, well that will be particularly unpleasant, but you'll have a chance of surviving!

Dana said...

Ali,
That is hilarious! I love it!!
My sons first public joke had to do with passing gas...
We were just as parentally responsible as you. :)

I had the same thought as Cosmo...the weeeeeee was a much softer landing!

Ali said...

Cosmo: you're a 'cup half full' kind of guy, I can tell ;-)

Dana: My youngest still can't believe her brother was allowed to say 'weeeeee' at the table, AND we laughed! She's been using the word rather too liberally since