Saturday, September 29, 2007

Valencia airport

Here l am blogging from Valencia airport! lt will pass the time even if it doesn't work. Flying Ryanair is a challenge, especially for those who struggle to travel light. Whilst waiting to check-in we watched those all around us as they desperately tried to avoid excess baggage payments.

The woman behind us in the queue started putting on layers of clothes from her case until she was wearing jeans under a sundress and two cardigans on top. She put a denim jacket on on top of all that, and then handed another coat to her travelling companion to wear for her.

While this ls all happening behind us, another woman appears from somewhere further back in the queue, wheels her case into the middle of the gathered throng, proceeds to open it (upside-down for good measure) and, in full view of the assembled masses, removes her bra and knickers from the case, stuffing them into her pockets!

As a Ryanair virgin, can anyone please confirm for me, is this normal Ryanair practice, or is level of entertainment the sole preserve of Irish travellers?

(PS surprise surprise, as you can see in the pic, our flight is now delayed, which is why this piece is so explicit. If its further delayed, I might even get to blog on the whole 'circuit training with Ryanair' experience!)

5 comments:

Pluto said...

Ola! Now you know why I avoid flying with Ryanair when I can. Bring me something nice from Spain!

Unknown said...

Hmm..Ryanair - let's face it - you get what you pay for. A 1 penny flight ain't s bad, just don't expect British Airways service!

Ali said...

Lucy, welcome to my ranblings.

I agree entirely, you get what you pay for, tho I don't think Bristish Airways have much to write home about since Terminal 5 opened either!

Joe said...

Ryanair Valencia/Charleroi. Baggage weight rip-off. Beware! The weight of my suitcase when leaving Charleroi was 12.2kg. The contents were unchanged when I checked in at Valencia a week later. This time the bag weighed in at 16.4kg. The check-in staff demanded that I pay a €15 excess baggage charge. I refused, saying that I would remove some contents and put them in my hand baggage. I was told to go and do this 'over to the side' and then queue up again (another 25 minute wait). I removed 1.5kg and used their scales to check this. After the re-queuing wait, I put my suitcase on the scales again (these scales were alongside check-in desk no.2). This time the suitcase registered 17.1kg. I enquired how this could be so, as I'd removed 1.5kg. I demanded to be allowed to weigh the suitcase on the first scales I'd used (alongside check-in desk 1). The staff refused, were obstructive, and said that I'd have to queue up a third time to do that. Fortunately, the people at the head of queue 1 allowed me to use the scales ahead of them, and in fact insisted that I do so despite the check-in staff protesting and threatening to send them to the back of their queue. This time the bag weighed in at 15.1kg. The Ryanair check-in staff went red in the face and were clearly embarrased to have had their scam discovered. Word of this discrepency quickly spread to the long queue of people waiting to pay excess baggage charges at the Ryanair ticket desk, causing several to protest angrilly at this contrived con. My bag was put through and no excess baggage charge was made. However, on reaching Charleroi, my suitcase did not appear on the baggage carousel. After enquiring its whereabouts at the Ryanair ticket desk, and a 1 hour delay while they made their enquiries, it was eventually 'found' and returned to me. Coincidence? I think not.

Ali said...

Joe

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your story. I guess what they say is true - let the buyer beware