Saturday, May 05, 2007

Fight the Good Fight

On Friday I had the absolute joy of accompanying the year 9 classes from school as they went on their end of year trip (it was brought forward especially so I could go away with them before my stint in the school finishes this Friday).

We went to Battlefield NI, a company that has set up a laser gun game based in a disused lead mine and forest area in Conlig, Co. Down. They dressed us all up in camouflage gear and cam paint, rigged us all up with laser sensors and guns and set us off on a number of tasks about the forest.

My colleague and I took opportunity to talk to the boys in our team and point out that good soldiers:
  • stayed well hidden
  • used height for advantage
  • kept really quiet
  • worked as a team
Slighty disappointing then, when, as the opposition appeared at the bottom of the hill we were defending, one of our boys got so excited that he jumped up out of position, ran over to my colleague, who was dug in behind a tree, stood in full view behind him, waving his gun in the air and shouting 'Sir, Sir, they're coming!' at the top of his voice before proceeding to pull the trigger, letting off 10 rounds of automatic fire, 'killing' my colleague on the spot!

As it happened, we won 4-2 anyway, so it didn't matter ;-)

1 comment:

Pluto said...

C'est la vie. C'est la guerre.