Saturday, September 16, 2006

Update

Time for a little update on what's been happening on 'Planet Alison' recently!

At the end of August my doctor signed me fit to return to work, with the understanding that I would be undertaking substitute or 'relief' teaching. This meant I could finally see if there had been any permanent damage done, or whether it was just like riding a bicycle ...

I was offered my first days work in a Special School last Friday, a school for children with moderate learning difficulties. I don't think anyone has ever been so organised for a days teaching as I was that day!! It was very important to me to 'get it right', not just because I wanted to see if I could still do the teaching thing, but also because it just happens to be where my bro teaches. Letting yourself down is one thing ... letting him down would be a whole different issue!

I was teaching English for the day, and I have to say, I absolutely loved it :-) The kids were super, I loved the atmosphere in the school and all the staff were very friendly and very helpful. And it was just like riding a bicycle - the old skills floated to the surface and everything went like clockwork (apart from the fact that I forgot to deliver the children to their buses at the end of the day, but noone seemed to be left behind, so I got away with it!)

The day was a fantastic boost to my confidence. Even better was the fact that the school have offered me a long stint from November to cover a maternity leave in the English department.

This week I have been working in another Special School in Belfast, in my own subject this time. The school would really like me to do a stint until Christmas for them, but as I am already committed to the maternity leave I have agreed to so a couple of weeks for them until they find somebody else.

I have to admit I was a bit scared I had bitten off more than I could chew with this one. Doing one day is all fine and well, doing a whole week ... well, thats a whole new ballgame! However, with thanks to another great team of staff and kids, I have been there all week and have settled in, drawn a few lines in the sand ;-) and thoroughly enjoyed the teaching.

I am so delighted to be in this happy position; Tesco's might have to look elsewhere for staff for their new Newtownbreda store now!

I still see the doctor on a regular basis, she is weaning me off the tablets I never wanted to take in the first place but am now glad I did, and when that happens I will have to rename my blog.

Thankyou to all of my friends who have been so faithful in their love, concern, prayers and candles over the last (who can believe it) eight months. I have come through the whole unfortunate experience and am a stronger person, and most importantly of all, a much happier mummy, as a result of it.

Still daft as a brush tho ;-)

No comments: