Thursday, June 08, 2006

Unexpected Visitor

At about 10 o'clock last night I was reading in the bedroom and out of the corner of my eye I spied what I assumed to be a moth fluttering round the central light. I ignored it, until it flew over my direction at which stage I took a swipe at it.

When I turned it's direction to see where it had gone I nearly jumped out of my skin. My initial reaction was 'Good grief! Thats the biggest moth I've ever clapped eyes on' and then I slowly realised it wasn't a moth, it was a ruddy great bat!


Safe to say, noone has ever moved quite as quickly as I did as I ran out of the house, screaming blue murder. I think my other half thought I had taken leave of my senses (again) as he watched me dance around the front garden, in the dark, in my bare feet shouting 'Get it out! GET IT OUT!'

Used to dealing with old bats, he quickly dealt with the problem, and peace, tranquility and (relative) normality was returned to the house.

I've never been a fisherman, but when I recounted the size of that bat .... ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story might explain Mini Me's poem about the race!! I bet you broke the 100 metres record!!

Anonymous said...

This story might explain Mini Me's poem about the race!! I bet you broke the 100 metres record!!

Steve Tilley said...

I used to run a summer houseparty for teenagers in an old boarding school. It was a bit Adams Family in there, especially late at night with the lights turned out as I patrolled looking for kids who had accidentally forgotten to stay in bed.

If I left the outside door open whilst patrolling a bat would fly in, do the whole length of the bottom corridor, circle the pillar at the end, make the journey in reverse and then fly out again. If I was walking down the corridor at the time and didn't flinch it would nip round me, almost brushing my face.

Bats are nice but, needless to say I almost cacked my keks first time it happened. We became friends over several years - and probably that meant different bats.

If you have bats in your church it is illegal to move them. Baptise and confirm them; then you'll never see them again.

Ali said...

'Baptise and confirm them; then you'll never see them again.'

ROFL ... how true