Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Matter for International Debate

It seems I have started a little cross-atlantic discussion on the merits of rugby over football (soccer) and/or American football :-)

I came across an interesting post on one of the blog journeys I sometimes undertake late at night by hitting the 'next blog' button at the top right hand corner of the screen. Basically it was entitled 'Football Sucks' which would be a sentiment I would whole-heartedly subscribe to. Of course, I couldn't resist an opportunity to add my tuppenceworth to the 'debate', citing the fact that the author sounded like a man of taste and discretion, and much more like a rugby man than a football (soccer) man to me.

And so the post Frnknsalsa: The blog that lives again. was inspired.

I think it's safe to say, I've won the football (soccer) battle, but I'm going to struggle to convince my friend that rugby is a patch on American football. Of course, a game of any sport played well is a beautiful thing, and I simply advised him to watch the game of rugby played at its best by indulging in some European or Southern Hemisphere rugby. With the greatest respect to our American cousins, the art of playing good rugby should not be judged on the efforts of their national side!

No comments: