Saturday, May 13, 2006

Today I joined the Library

I love reading 'escapist type novels', as my traditional old Grammar school used to describe them (that basically means nothing of any literary importance). Such is my enthusiam for them, when on holiday I can get through two and even up to four such books in a week.

With the good weather this week meaning I could sit out in the garden, I fancied a bit of a read and searched through the hundreds of books in the house for one I hadn't yet read. The only thing I could come up with was Clive Cussler's Blue Gold. It was actually quite good, but it didn't last me that long.

Coincidently, I received my local Councillor's newsletter this week, and although it doesn't make for good 'escapist type' reading, the headline denoted that my local library was under threat of closure. Books are the cornerstone of learning, and learning is a lifetime experience that everybody, regardless of age, colour, creed, religion, class or ability has a right to. Not everyone is in the privileged position that they can purchase the books they want, need or would like, for all sorts social, physical, financial and geographical reasons. To this end, libraries offer an invaluable, free service.

In recognition of this, my local Councillor (I'm not into politics or politicians, but this girl's a good un!) petitioned the Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure on behalf of the Library and local residents. It appears the Library has had a reprise, although in her newsletter we are warned by Councillor Duncan that 'unless we all use this excellent facility it will continue to be under threat'.
USE IT OR LOSE IT!

Normally when I want some reading material I head off down to Bargain Books and buy myself an armful of novels for about a fiver. Today I acted on the advice of my local Councillor and joined the Library.

1 comment:

Carey said...

I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys classic literature. My escape novels were Lord of the Rings, Sherlock Homes, etc. Strange, I know.

Libraries are great. Wish I could live in one.